Surviving The Mold

Article 3 of 3 in a series about Mold Toxicity.

I’m learning a lot about what’s happening in my body and better yet, I’m learning more about recovery and that means that I will get better.

The process of recovering from mold toxicity will take time and committed persistent action, which means, despite and through the discomfort and pain, I must be patient.

It seems that while not a single doctor I worked with ever looked into it, mold toxicity is actually a really big problem, one that seems to be growing enough that once you start digging, there’s actually quite a bit of information available on how to spot it and how to manage a recovery process for it.

In my last article, I shared a few of the steps I was taking already to ease the pain and reduce reoccurrence of the symptoms I was struggling with. I also shared about my struggle and some of the history of toxic mold in my first article. Today, I’ll share more about what I’ve been learning and steps I’ll be taking going forward. I hope that you find all of this information helpful if you are battling toxic mold exposure as well.

Recently, I’ve learned that when you are dealing with mold toxicity, it does not mean that the mold is growing inside your body, rather, you are dealing with the toxic residue of the exposure that your body has not eliminated. I’ve also learned that not everyone has this problem when they’ve been exposed to toxic mold, that it’s an inherited trait that can be identified through testing.

The toxic residue then creates a series of responses in the body referred to as Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (aka Mold Illness or Biotoxin Illness) and has been studied and addressed by Dr. Shoemaker as you will read in the previous link. Among his approaches are to get rid of the toxin, begin detoxing the body, kill antibiotic resistant bacteria, rebalancing hormones and a variety of tests to be sure each step taken is appropriate and managed. I found this article incredibly enlightening and helpful.

I’ve also begun to follow a low mold diet and remove potential mold carrying items from my kitchen and home.

My low mold diet looks like this:

Fresh vegetables – no more than 4 or 5 days old.

Fresh fruit – again, no older than 4 or 5 days.

Legumes/beans

No leftovers.

No mushrooms.

No fermented foods. (I know, it was rough for a little bit, but I’m surviving.)

Reduced whole grains – quinoa, wild rice, millet. Maybe once or twice a week. Sometimes grains are an issue.

No processed sugar, but I am having some real maple syrup and local raw unfiltered honey from time to time. I am sweetening my coffee with stevia.

The best forms of meat – pasture raised, grass fed, no antibiotics, etc. maybe once a week.

No eating out.

Low or no fruit green smoothies.

Mold free coffee.

No dairy.

Spring water.

I do include Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar, frequently

Raw nuts and seeds

Avocado and healthy oils

I have also been taking a variety of supplements that include time release oregano tablets, a blend of herbs in tablet form, Ashwaghanda, a bile support blend, and enzymes.

I have been steadily going through my home and eliminating mold exposure from the weirdest places. Such as… my washer, my Keurig machine, the water cooler, sponges, and have upgraded my cleaners to those that actually kill mold rather than just remove it’s color or visible areas. I’ve chosen to use a blend of borax and thyme, tea tree, and oregano essential oils, in water. I use this in my toilets, on my tubs and sinks and surrounding areas.

It’s a process…My own process is slow, but measurable in these last few months, and I am continuously learning.

If you found value here, tell me about it! I want to know I’m serving you with information that’s helpful for you!

Here’s to healing, Tammi

If you enjoyed this article, Get email updates (It’s Free)

Share your thoughts!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  Subscribe  
Notify of