This post has been sponsored by Basic Invite
The holidays are coming so quickly and for me that means an overflowing plate of to-do’s and a whirlwind of events. You see, both my husband and my son have birthdays in December…
The first few years that my husband and I were together, the month of December was complete chaos. With trying to put together Christmas for our daughter (years before my son), meet all expectations that come with the holidays, and make my husband’s birthday a special day, I wanted to sleep through the New Year. (Sometimes, I still do!) It’s a lot for one mom to handle.
Over the 22 years we’ve been together, I’ve learned a few tricks that help this time of year smooth out a bit and I thought I’d share them with you. By taking on just a few simple habits, birthdays and holidays have become so much easier!
Plan far ahead.
It’s okay to start planning as soon as the last one is over. Seriously. I am usually thinking about what went well and what didn’t by the end of the event anyway, so I take a few minutes to write down my thoughts for the next year in my planner. You know, things like – don’t book at that place again, order only one pizza instead of seventeen, and check out that event place up the street – sort of things. Then a few months ahead of time, my husband and I start discussion budget, wishes and dreams for the birthday coming, and reality of our constantly tight time. We agree on what we’d like to do, and I begin to swing into action.
I love my planner for managing all things and in it I make lists. I list options for venues, the ever growing “I want” list from my son, food ideas, and even color ideas for the party supplies. I keep these lists in an ongoing year long planner so that when the time comes to take action – all the planning is done.
There are so many businesses that specialize in making birthdays (and other events) easier. You can get support with everything from organizing and planning, entertainment, baking, and even invitations. I say “delegate” and get support with the things you want to do the least.
Let go of expectations.
The reason my husband and I discuss our birthday and holiday month in advance is to help us both to let go of unrealistic expectations. It’s not going to be perfect, and that’s okay! (Someday, I’ll tell you the story about my daughter’s birthday cake) ((thanks mom for saving me))
Together, we find our visible limitations, and by planning ahead we can make sure the things we want done get done or that we give ourselves time to find creative ways around our challenges. I love to hand make invitations but I don’t always have the time to do this. When I don’t, I use Basic Invitation so that I can create beautiful professional looking custom party invitations online for my attendees and to help my son and hubby feel special without all the fuss of hand making them.
Create fancy birthday invitations for your loved one’s special day using Basic Invite…. why?
- Almost Unlimited Colors – Basic Invite is one of the few websites that allows customers almost unlimited color options with instant previews online. Once you select a design you can change the color of each element on the card to over 180 different color options so you can make sure the card is exactly how you want it down to the littlest detail.
2. Custom Samples – Basic Invite is one of the few websites that allows customers the ability to order a printed sample of their actual invitation so they can see exactly how it will print as well as the paper quality before they ever have to place their final order.
3. Over 40 Different Colors of Envelopes – Basic Invite is just as colorful with their envelopes as they are with their invitations. Customers can choose from over 40 different colors when it comes to their envelopes so that they can make their invitation stand out even before it is opened. All of the envelopes are peel and seal so the envelopes can be quickly and securely closed.
4. Address Capturing Service – Basic Invite offers an address capturing service that allows customers to simply share a link on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other form of social media to request their friends and family’s addresses which will be stored in the customer’s account and can then be selected during the design process. Basic Invite offers recipient address printing at no cost on all Christmas card orders.
5. Foil – Foil cards are available in gold, silver, and rose gold. Customers can choose flat or raised foil on all of Basic Invite’s foil designs.
Right now Basic Invite is offering 15% off with coupon code: 15FF51
Keep the food simple.
When I host birthday parties at home, I like to put together vegetable trays and snack trays with crackers and hummus. This allows the guests to graze at their will and keeps the time invested to a minimum. You can offer all healthy options without making a fuss. There’s no need to make the food complicated.
As a mom, I know how much you want to make everyone happy. It’s important to feel like your special one feels like they are the most important person on their birthday. It’s important that the guests have a good time. It’s important that the food tastes good and reflects the fun you want to bring to the event. It’s all good! Keeping things as simple as possible leaves space for you to breathe. If you are hosting from a super stressed bunched up crunchy space – everyone will pick up on this. BREATHE. Let go. Trust. You did a great job! Not everyone will be ecstatic – it’s okay! (Ever hear the saying that you can’t make everyone happy, you are not a taco?!)
I hope your planning is easier!
Have some fun party planning tips? I wanna hear about them! Drop into my blog at headpositivemom.com and leave a comment!
also, check out:
P.s. You can find Basic Invite on Social Media!