Getting your entire family involved in food prep is one of the easiest ways to get them to dig in. My favorite way to involve everyone is by compiling all we need to create a salad bar. We chop, sort separately, and dig for all our faves. Children feel empowered, hubbies feel in control, you save both time and the headache, … everyone’s happy!
When my son was little, I would chop all the salad bar toppings ahead of time and put them in the separated areas of a party tray with a lid. Almost every night my family used those prepared vegetables for something and after a few days, I would toss them into a skillet and sauté the rest with a meal.
These days, my son stands beside me to chop, dice, sort, and serve.
Some of my favorite ingredients include:
- Organic blend of greens (washed again, even though it proudly states washed 3x)
- Organic Roma, beefsteak, or colorful Heirloom tomatoes
- Shredded or finely chopped carrots
- Green, red, or yellow peppers (or all three!)
- Shredded rotisserie chicken
- Parmesan, fresh grated is best
- Or Feta
- Almonds or walnuts
- Grapes or chopped apples
- Dressing of choice
- Freshly cracked black pepper